Teresa is an inspirational professional in Dubai who is a popular figure within her institution, she loves the outdoors and DxbBlog wanted to get out there with her and share her Dubai! So here is our second interview… Enjoy!!
Tell us a bit about yourself and your Dubai journey.
My name is Teresa and I’ve lived in Dubai for about 9 ½ years now. I planned to only be here for two, but Dubai got the better of me. I am a teacher, so came here to teach at a high school, but have since progressed to teaching at the foundation university level.
What do you love most about Dubai?
I think I like Dubai so much because it is the only place I’ve ever been that changes faster than I can. And also, because of its location, it’s easy to go on adventures in and around the area. I’ve gone on weekend trips to Iceland, India, Nepal… there’s always an adventure waiting just around the corner.
What are your top five tips for tourists in Dubai?
- Make a plan. There are a lot of things to see and do in Dubai. Figure out the things you definitely want to see, so that you don’t miss out. Some activities require planning ahead, like if you want to go up the Burj Khalifa, you need to book in advance.
- Bring a cardigan/sweater/pajmina/hoodie basically any time you’re going somewhere indoors. It’s hot outside, but the A/C will be blasting inside.
- Drink a lot of water. It’s hot here and you need to rehydrate more than you realize. Seriously. If you want to save money on water at restaurants, always ask for local water; that’s just a little tip from me to you.
- Be patient. Things sometimes run on a very relaxed schedule here… Very. Relaxed. Just breathe and be patient.
- Remember you’re in a different country. Be considerate. Breathe it in, and appreciate the differences, but be considerate of the country you are in, their beliefs and their culture.
What made you stay in Dubai?
This answer echoes what I love most about Dubai in that it changes so quickly. It also doesn’t hurt that I met my partner here and we have a dog together… and they’re both gorgeous.
What are your top five restaurants in Dubai?
- Cheesecake Factory (Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Mall, Jumeriah Beach Residence Walk, etc.). It’s not very cultural, but it’s true. They give free refills on unsweetened iced tea and have massive portions. Their service is great, too.
- Ravi’s (in Satwa). It’s amazing, inexpensive, and delicious Pakistani food. It can be quite spicy though, so be warned.
- Al Mallah (in Satwa). This is a great place to go for authentic Arabic food. It’s inexpensive and delicious.
- Der Keller (Jumierah Beach Hotel). This is a great place to go for German food. The service is great, the portions are huge, and the prices are reasonable.
- Al Reef Bakery (Al Safa). This is the place to go for great zataar, and/or lebnah bread.
What are your top five tourist attractions/must go places for our readers who are maybe thinking to visit?
The Grand Mosque (technically, it’s in Abu Dhabi, but it’s worth the drive); it’s stunning.
- The desert. You can’t come to Dubai and not see the desert at sunset. Go on a desert safari or go camping if you can.
- Water parks. If you like a water park, this is the place to be: Aquaventure at Atlantis, Wild Wadi at Jumierah Beach Hotel, and Yas Waterworld on Yas Island. They’re all super fun parks with tons of rides and a great way to be outside on a hot day.
- The souks. There are several old-style souks worth visiting, but my favourite is easily the Spice Souk. The people, the fragrances, and the showmanship of the business owners make it a true cultural experience. I love it!
- The wadis. They’re a bit harder to get to than the desert, but seeing the natural water pools and going for a swim is a beautiful way to reconnect with nature when you’re tired of being surrounded by the city all the time.
What is the highlight of YOUR Dubai?
The highlight of MY Dubai is living close to the beach and being able to go for a run at sunset through the dunes with my dog. The weather here is beautiful eight months of the year, so it’s an easy place to be active and appreciate the outdoors.
Don’t forget to share your stories on our Facebook page or Hashtag us with your pictures on instagram #MyDxbBlogDubai for a chance to have your Dubai featured!!